Rest in Peace, Great Auntie Grace
My wife's great Aunt Grace passed away at 87 years old in Aberdeen, Scotland. Things that made Grace and absoulte joy to everyone and the best Great Aunt ever:
- Called every Saturday at 9:00 a.m. for the past five years. to see how things were going and check on the weather
- Sent her grand-niece a crisp, brand-new twenty-pound note (or twenty dollar bill) every month since Alex was old enough to remember.
- When picking up the bill from the bank, if it was wrinkly or used, she'd pass it back and come back the next day to get a fresh bill.
- Sent packages full of gifts, like chocolate, crackers, "Man-Sized" Kleenex, handkerchiefs, packs and packs of socks, and pen refills.
- Pulled off a coordinated outfit with gloves and pill box hat and made it look good.
- Could hold her own in the 'hood of Aberdeene.
- Lived on the same block her entire life
- Didn't own a television
- Only listened to the radio and read prodigiously.
- All the bus drivers knew her in town and would yell "hi" as they drove by.
- Waved goodbye to us on the train for twenty minutes without breaking her smile
- very nearly understood my American accent.
- very neat handwriting